NOW-NYC is the founding and largest chapter of NOW in the country. We work to advance the women and girls of New York City through public education, grassroots organizing, lobbying, action, and advocacy. NOW-NYC aims to promote reproductive rights, advance women’s economic empowerment, and end violence and discrimination against women and girls.
APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH OUR ACTIVIST ALLIANCE:
NOW-NYC is recruiting applicants for 2013 Activist Alliance class, a dedicated group of volunteers who will commit to a one-year program with the organization. If you are a feminist with something to say and are eager to jump into today’s pressing women’s rights issues, apply for the Activist Alliance NOW!
Activist Alliance members will have a unique opportunity to build their feminist resumes and networks, all while learning key organizing, advocacy and fundraising skills. Activists who graduate the program will leave with a strong understanding of issues facing women – both regionally and nationally – and how to best harness their activist skills to affect change and create a culture in which women can succeed in all realms.
The Activist Alliance experience includes:
- In-person activist trainings covering key women’s rights issues in NYC, social media campaigning, lobbying, outreach such as tabling and petitioning, fundraising, and more.
- Ongoing mentorship by NOW-NYC leadership.
- Access to local women’s rights leaders.
- Entrance to NOW-NYC programs and events.
- Hands on experience with activism, women’s rights campaigns, and the nonprofit world.
- Becoming part of a growing network of NOW-NYC volunteer and intern alums.
- Resume builders such as nonprofit project management, communications and development experience
Activist Alliance members will make a one-year commitment to the organization to:
- Attend all activist training sessions:
(1) Saturday, January 26, 11am-4pm;
(2) Select Activist Trainings (Tuesday & Thursday nights) – Dates TBA
- Participate in monthly Activist Alliance Meetings at the NOW-NYC office (held the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 6-8pm)
- Commit to ongoing special projects and participate in regular events including:
*Provide ongoing support of NOW-NYC social media campaigns
*Help organize Activist Nights and social gatherings
*Spearhead tabling events, phone banking and petitioning
*Support fundraising and membership development (commit to annual goal)
*Help organize and attend protests and rallies
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and a completed Activist Alliance application to email@example.com. Deadline for priority applications is November 16, 2012. Note that the application process will remain open until all positions are filled.
Activist Alliance Application Questions:
- Please summarize any of your activist/volunteer experience to date (300 words max)
- In your own words, briefly describe your relationship to feminism or similar perspectives (womanist, mujerist, women’s rights, etc.). We understand applicants may have varying definitions of “progressive” and “feminist.” Tell us clearly what those terms mean to you and how you identify with them. (300 words max)
- What do you hope to achieve through participating in NOW-NYC’s Activist Alliance? (300 words max)
- Why do you think you would be an effective member of the Activist Alliance? (300 words max)
- How did you learn about NOW-NYC’s Activist Alliance?
- Please list two references (academic or professional).
Women & men of all ages, backgrounds and levels of experience are encouraged to apply.