“Paradigm Shift is situated to be at the center of feminist organizing for this new era of activism. It is now the place I go for information on all things feminist in New York City.”
– Michael Kimmel, PhD, Author & Sociologist, world-renown gender studies scholar, and Paradigm Shift lecturer & panelist
EVENT PROGRAMMING MARCH 2007- PRESENT:
• 8/18/10- BODY TYPED Short Films on Perfection Screening & Discussion with Jesse Epstein, Sundance Award-Winning Filmmaker. Over 89 attended. TimeOut NY Critics’ Pick- our 8th honor.
• 7/14/10- “GUYLAND: THE PERILOUS WORLD WHERE BOYS BECOME MEN” Lecture and Discussion featuring Dr. Michael Kimmel, PhD, Author & Sociologist, among the leading researchers and writers on men and masculinity in the world today. Moderated by Shelby Knox, nationally known feminist organizer & subject of the Sundance award-winning film, “The Education of Shelby Knox”. TimeOut NY Critics Pick. Over 145 attended.
• 6/9/10- PARADIGM SHIFT, FEMINISTING, and SOAPBOX INC. Proudly Present A LOWER EAST SIDE FEMINIST TAKEOVER – Celebrate as the Lower East Side officially becomes The Feminist District! Happy Hour at Gallery Bar. Over 75 attended.
• 4/21/10- ARTIST SHOWCASE: CELEBRATING THE WORK OF FEMINIST ARTISTS hosted by Laura Joy, Acoustic Folk Pop & Membership Coordinator, Paradigm Shift. Featuring, Bastet “Belly Dance For Change”,Experimental belly dance troupe; Barnacle Bill, Folk / Soul / Reggae; Chantilly, Singer-Songwriter; Jennifer Ortiz, Spoken Word Poet; Julia Weldon, Folk Indie Rock; Katina Douveas, Spoken Word Poet; Ms.India.M, R&B, Soul / Jazz / Alternative; Twilight of The Idle, Queer Cabaret Wordrock; Amy Mitten Photography. Sold out house.
• 3/30/10- SEX WORK & HUMAN RIGHTS: FEMINIST ADVOCACY STRATEGIES Panel Discussion and Screening featuring: Sienna Baskin, Esq., Staff Attorney, Sex Workers Project at the Urban Justice Center; Christina Cicchelli, Columnist, $pread magazine; Maryse Mitchell-Brody, Co-Founder, Sex Workers Action New York (SWANK); Audacia Ray, International Women’s Health Coalition & co-founder of Sex Work Awareness; Will Rockwell, Editor, $pread magazine; Screening of “Sangram: Sex Worker Organizing In India”a collaboration between the International Women’s Health Coalition and SANGRAM; moderated by Melissa Gira Grant, External Relations Officer, Third Wave Foundation & freelance writer. Portion of the proceeds donated to Sex Workers Project. TimeOut NY Critics’ Pick. Over 53 attended.
• 2/23/10- “THE PURITY MYTH: HOW AMERICA’S OBSESSION WITH VIRGINITY IS HURTING YOUNG WOMEN” A Discussion with Jessica Valenti, Author & Feministing.com Founder and
Editor. Portion of proceeds donated to Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls. TimeOut NY Criticsʼ Pick. Over 110 attended- sold out.
• 12/1/09- SEX. CONSENT. POWER. PLEASURE. “The Line” Documentary Screening & Panel discussion. Featuring: Nancy Schwartzman, Filmmaker, Erin Burrows, Students Active For Ending Rape, Joseph Samalin, Men Can Stop Rape, Campus Strength Coordinator, Ignacio Rivera, Sex educator, Organizer & Performance Artist. Portion of the proceeds donated to The Line Campaign and SAFER. TimeOutNY Critics’ Pick. Over 85 attended.
• 11/19/09- PROGRESSIVE SINGLE MINGLE: A COCKTAIL PARTY FOR THE LEFT-LEANING. Raffle Sponsors include: Rubin Museum, Jivamukti Yoga school, Brooklyn Museum, Bluestockings,Tastee Vegan. Supported by the Planned Parenthood of New York City ActivistCouncil, NARAL Pro-Choice NY, NOW NYS Young Feminist Task Force, The Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership. TimeOutNY Critics’ Pick. Over 30 attended.
• 11/2/09- NARAL’s Pro-Choice Election Phone Banks- Co-sponsored by Paradigm Shift
• 10/29/09- “AMELIA” Film Screening & Discussion
• 10/11/09- NATIONAL EQUALITY MARCH for LGBTQ rights in Washington, DC. Paradigm Shift was a part of the NYC National Equality March Mobilization Coalition.
• 9/23/09- “FIGHT FOR YOUR REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS: HOW YOU CAN HELP PASS THE REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH ACT” co-sponsored by NYCLU, featuring Corinne Carey, Interim director, Reproductive Rights Project, New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU), Rev. Matthew Westfox, National Coordinator for Field Services at Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice & Associate, Pastor at All Souls Bethlehem Church, Dr. Carol Roye, EdD, RN, CPNP, researcher in reproductive health, Jenn Proulx, Filmmaker of “Another New Yorker for the Reproductive Health Act”. Over 25 attended.
• 8/19/09- “FEMINIST MEN: INCREASING VISIBILITY”. Featuring Dr. Michael Kimmel, one of the leading researchers and writers on men and masculinity, Vinnie Angel, purveyor of social justice consumer products, Robert Brannon, Co- Founder NOMAS, Jerin Alam, NOW NYS YFTF,Ben Siegel, former VP Hunter Women’s Rights Coalition. TimeOut NY Critics’ Pick. Over 80 attended.
• 7/22/09- “THE SARI SOLDIERS” documentary screening & discussion with Julie Bridgham, Filmmaker. Portion of proceeds to Sari Soldiers Outreach Fund
• 6/17/09- PARADIGM SHIFT TV & BLOG LAUNCH & LGBTQ PRIDE PARTY featuring Rickie Gal, Jennifer Friedman, Inky Glass, and Phoenix
• 4/1/09- WOMEN & RELIGIOUS EQUALITY with Leora Tanenbaum, Author “Taking Back God: American Women Rising Up for Religious Equality”– lecture and discussion. Portion of proceeds to Women’s Alliance for Theology, Ethics and Ritual. 22 attended.
• 3/7/09- MICHFEST HALF-WAY SOIREE, a benefit for Michigan Womyn’s Music Festivalfeaturing local and internationally renown talent such as singer/songwriter Pamela Means, Amber Darland, and Juliana Marx.
• 1/21/09- ROE VS. WADE ANNIVERSARY DOCUMENTARY SCREENING OF “I HAD AN ABORTION” AND DISCUSSION with JENNIFER BAUMGARDNER, Activist, Author, Filmmaker, GILLIAN ALDRICH, Filmmaker, and women featured in the film. Portion of proceeds to NY Abortion Access Fund. 74 attended.
• 1/14/09- ARE YOU FINANCIALLY SECURE: WOMEN & FINANCES WORKSHOP by Tanya Osborne, Independent Financial Services Professional at Primerica Financial Services
• 11/19/08- FEMINISM & MOTHERHOOD WITH AMY RICHARDS, Activist & Author “Opting In: Having a Child Without Losing Yourself”, lecture and discussion. Portion of proceeds to New Space for Women’s Health. Over 25 attended
• 9/23/08- OPEN MIC with Special Guest Pauline Delage, French Feminist Scholar
• 8/1/08- “FEMINAZI” Off-Broadway One Women Comedy by Suzanne Willett & Panel discussion featuring S. Willett, Alexandra Zimmermann and Nichole Casamento of Younger Women’s Task Force- NYC Chapter, & Paradigm Shift Co-Founder, Meredith Villano
• 5/29/08- THE REAL SEX IN THE CITY: SEXUALITY WORKSHOP by Ducky Doolittle, Author & Sexual Health Advocate
• 5/8/08- ECOFEMINISM WITH MARTI KHEEL Ph.D., Author & Scholar “Nature Ethics: An Ecofeminist Perspective”– lecture and discussion
• 3/28/08- FROM VIOLENCE TO EMPOWERMENT featuring NYC’s Radical Cheerleaders
• 3/1/08- MICHFEST HALF-WAY SOIREE, a benefit for Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival. Featuring local and internationally renown talent such as singer/songwriter Nedra Johnson, poet Staceyann Chin, Filthy, and Laura Joy. TimeOutNY’s Critics’ Pick. 110 attended.
• 1/25/08- FEMINIST ENTREPRENEURSHIP: NO GLASS CEILING TO SMASH featuring Annmarie Agosta, MSW specializing in Holistic Psychotherapy and LGBT issues.
• 12/7/07- ABORTION SPEAK OUT AND OPEN MIC
• 6/07- BUSHWICK ARTIST OPEN STUDIOS- ROOFTOP OPEN MIC
• 3/07- PARADIGM SHIFT LAUNCH EVENT– Body Image/ Self-Love- Open Mic